Wednesday, September 18, 2013

How to Follow Up After the Interview

How to Follow Up After the Interview
Nancy Molloy, CompliStaff
 www.complistaff.com 


The first interview with a new company went well.  What to do next?
Without question, following an interview you should send an individually addressed thank you note to all whom you met.  Until recently, this formal soul would have suggested a hand written note and while I continue to think this is a charming touch, I have warmed to the idea of an email note of thanks.  In fact, email is perfectly agreeable.

The tone of your thank you note should be professional.  The note (this is different from a letter, yes?) should be three and not more than four paragraphs.

You might begin with an expression of thanks for the time and the shared information.  Perhaps there was something unique you wish to address about the meeting or, you may even add a short paragraph if with reflection, you had more to say.  Did I say a short paragraph?  Yes, not more than four lines, please.
May I suggest that in the last paragraph you state your level of interest and ask about next steps.  You might write something such as “I continue to have an interest in xyz company and in the role we discussed.  I look forward to learning about next steps.”

As a closing salutation, you might consider:  Kindest regards, Best regards, With sincere thanks.  And for heaven’s sake, please sign off with your full name.  I might even be so bold as to include a contact phone number under my name to make contacting me easy.

Finally, please, please, please, spell check before you send.

Repeat after each round of interviews.

Please stay tuned to Gayle’s List as next month I will write about how to resign from your job and what’s up with counter offers.

Nancy Molloy
www.complistaff.com